Compelling Evidence for God and the Bible
TEMPORARILY OUT-OF-STOCK HERE BUT AVAILABLE AT AMAZON.COM
An enlightening and easy-to-understand book that gives the many reasons you can trust in God and the Bible without checking your brain at the door!
Is the Christian faith a matter of personal opinion and subjective experience, or is it based on solid, verifiable evidence? Is truth like beauty, "in the eyes of the beholder", or does the Bible's description of reality apply to everyone? Regardless of your initial response to questions like these, you need accurate information in order to find intelligent and helpful answers. With this fascinating survey, you can find out why...
- The scientific mysteries of the origin and intricacy of the universe point to a Creator and Designer
- Biblical and extra-biblical writings confirm that Jesus was much more than merely a good teacher
- Dealing with your doubts can help you better engage your mind and heart in your spiritual pursuits
As you examine the evidence of God's existence and the truthfulness of the Bible, you will build your confidence and take a new step in your relationship with God.
Part 1: God
- Chapter 1: Clearing Away the Debris: Arguments Against the Reality of God
- Chapter 2: Why Atheism Fails: The Bankruptcy of the Godless Worldview
- Chapter 3: Is Anyone at Home? Compelling Evidence for the Reality of God
- Chapter 4: God: Sleeping, Retired, or Dead? The Nature of God
Part 2: The Word of God
- Chapter 5: The Bible: Word of Man or Word of God?
- Chapter 6: Dialog with a Critic: How Honest Discussion Facilitates Faith
- Chapter 7: Before Xerox: Confidence in the Biblical Manuscripts
Part 3: The Son of God
- Chapter 8: The Luminous Figure: Legend, Liar, Lunatic, or Lord?
- Chapter 9: That's Impossible! The Miracles of Jesus
- Chapter 10: Many Convincing Proofs: The Resurrection
Part 4: The Pursuit of God
- Chapter 11: One Way? The Bible and Other Religions
- Chapter 12: Double-Minded? Dealing with Doubt
- Chapter 13: Taking the Plunge: Making an Informed Decision
- Bible Study Strategies
- The Trinity
- Apparent Contradictions in the Bible
What a great book! I am asked many questions about God and the bible that sometimes I just do not know how to answer that would help others understand. Reading this book really helped me solidify my own faith but also prepared me to answer questions for those who are looking for evidence when it comes to God, Jesus and the bible. When it comes to evidence, it may be hard to explain to others, Dr. Jacoby does a great job explaining truths and evidences that you just can't ignore. In my opinion, a must have for your outreach tool box.
Dr. Jacoby´s book provides a very clear, understandable and well-organised approach to dealing with all types of questions about the Christian faith - from whether there is a God at all, to the perceived conflicts with science and through to questions about the reliability of the Bible, along with questions about other religions. This book is like a handy toolkit of solutions! For me, it is very useful as a go-to book both for thoughts/ ideas regarding my own questions or doubts, and things that arise in conversations with other people about Christianity - whether of the faith, open-minded, or pretty sceptical/ atheist. I also very much liked the practical advice in the chapter on “Taking the Plunge” - saying something about how odd it can feel to come to faith (I recognise this, having come from a vaguely agnostic position myself), and providing some practical tips as to what to do next to grow in faith. I found this to be a really useful book :-)
This was the first book I read through by Douglas. And it was what convinced me he really knew what he was talking about. The book is extremely well organized, comprehensible and relevant. Dr. Jacoby really did his research and uses plenty of stories, facts and logic to answer all sorts of common questions and arguments from non-believers. My personal favorite answer was in regards to the question "Could God create a rock even He could not move?" I highly recommend this book.
It is healthy to have doubts about your faith. Douglas addresses the evidence thoughtfully and prepares the careful reader to answer. There is plenty of material for a deeper dive.
The arguments for God, Jesus, and the reliability of the Scriptures presented in this book has"cleared away the debris" in my own life. I have read a lot on apologetics and have been to lectures on the subject that have left me confused but I found Jacoby's book to be the most clearest and reasonable defense of the faith. As a Christian, it has helped me be prepared to answer questions from friends who are agnostic , atheist, or of another faith. Moreover, it has been a constant reference for me and a great gift for friends who are seeking God but have many questions. Jacoby has a written a compelling and straightforward book that will always be in my bookshelf.